In 2014, the state added a new component to its accountability system: evaluating Texas school districts and individual campuses on how well they engage the community and students Section 39.0545 to the Texas Education Code (TEC).
This section requires school districts to evaluate performance in community and student engagement, as well as in compliance with state reporting requirements, for the District as a whole and for each of its campuses.
There are five possible ratings a District and individual campuses can receive for Factors 1-8. They are: Exemplary, Recognized, Acceptable, Unacceptable or Not Applicable. A rating label of Yes or No will be assigned for Factor 9, history of compliance with statutory reporting requirements.
The following factors are used in evaluating SAISD’s performance in community and student engagement:
- 21st-century workforce development programs
- Second-language acquisition programs
- Community and parental involvement
- Digital learning environment
- Dropout prevention strategies
- Fine arts
- Gifted & talented programs
- Wellness and physical education
- History of compliance with statutory reporting requirements
Under this new system, based on District-developed criteria, SAISD earned an overall rating of Exemplary in 2015. Also, 86 percent of SAISD campuses were rated either Recognized or Exemplary.